Regular practice is an essential element in refining musical and artistic talents. In order to receive the full benefit of instruction, the student is expected to practice daily the same amount as the lesson time. For example, if a student has a 30-minute lesson, then they should practice a minimum of 30 minutes each day.
Practice Hints for Parents
- Sit down with your child and look at his/her schedule. Choose a set time every day for practice. Encourage students to honor this time.
- Provide a practice setting free of distractions such as TV, phone, personal electronics, or interruptions from siblings.
- Check your child’s assignment log at the beginning of the week to see the teacher’s comments and assignments for the week.
- Check on your child’s progress throughout the week. Make sure he/she has accurately recorded the amount of practice time each day.
- Make sure your child finishes any written assignments and is prepared for each lesson/class.
- Teachers will make practice recommendations based on the individual student’s needs.