Regular practice is an essential element in refining musical/artistic talents. In order to receive the full benefit of instruction, the student is expected to practice daily the same amount as the lesson time. If a student has a 30-minute lesson, then they should practice a minimum of 30 minutes each day. If the student has a 60-minute lesson they should practice a minimum of 60 minutes a day.
Practice Hints for Parents
- Sit down with your child and look at his/her schedule. Choose a set time every day for practice. Encourage students to honor this time.
- Provide a practice setting free of distractions such as TV, phone, personal electronics or interruptions from siblings.
- Check your child’s assignment sheet at the beginning of the week to see the teacher’s comments and assignments for the week.
- Check on your child’s progress throughout the week. Make sure he/she has accurately recorded the amount of practice time each day.
- Make sure your child finishes any written assignments and is prepared for each lesson/class.
- Teachers will make practice recommendations based on the individual student’s needs.